Franklin County Development Council is the lead economic development entity for industrial business investment in Franklin County and Ottawa, Kansas and a partner organization of the Ottawa Area Chamber of Commerce. For additional information on the Development Council, available industrial and commercial property in Ottawa and Franklin County, local incentives and finance tools for industrial and commercial businesses and Ottawa and Franklin County labor availability, please click the following link:
Ottawa, Kansas Economic Information
Ottawa, Kansas with a population of 12,649 (2010 Census) is the largest city and County seat of Franklin County, Kansas.
Ottawa is located immediately adjacent to the Interstate 35/NAFTA trade corridor and is approximately 55 minutes drive-time from Downtown Kansas City, Kansas/Missouri and approximately 25 minutes drive-time from the new BNSF rail intermodal facility in Edgerton, Kansas accessible via Interstate 35.
In addition to access to the Kansas City market, Ottawa is also located in close proximity to Lawrence, Kansas (26 miles North via U.S. 59 Highway), Topeka, Kansas (49 miles North and West via U.S. 59 Highway and Interstate 70) and Emporia, Kansas (57 miles West via Interstate 35).
Ottawa, Kansas is home to multiple large industrial businesses including Walmart which operates a 1.3 million square foot warehouse operation immediately East of the community, American Eagle Outfitters with a 1.1 million square foot warehouse located in the Northeast Ottawa Industrial Park and Kalmar-Ottawa, a large terminal tractor manufacturing company started in Ottawa currently employing approximately 300 workers.
Ottawa is also home to multiple commercial and retail businesses including multiple restaurants and retail businesses located in its thriving downtown and multiple national chain and restaurant retailers including Applebee’s, Maurices, Walmart Supercenter, Price Chopper (new store coming in 2015), Orscheln Farm and Home and multiple family owned businesses.
Ottawa’s largest employers are as follows:
- Walmart Distribution Center/Walmart Logistics (895-995 Employees)
- American Eagle Outfitters (640 Employees Approximately, Varies Seasonally)
- USD 290 (430 Employees)
- Ransom Memorial Hospital (360 Employees)
- Kalmar-Ottawa (320 Employees)
- Walmart Supercenter (260 Employees)
- Franklin County, KS (240 Employees)
- Ottawa University (175 Employees)
- City of Ottawa, KS (160 Employees)
- Ottawa Retirement Village (140 Employees)
For information on additional community and economic development partners in the region, please visit:
- Ottawa Main Street: www.OttawaMainStreet.org
- Franklin County Convention and Visitor’s Center: www.VisitOttawaKansas.com
- City of Ottawa, Kansas: www.OttawaKS.gov
- Franklin County, Kansas: www.FranklinCoKS.org
- Wellsville, Kansas Chamber: www.WellsvilleChamber.com
- Kansas City Area Development Council: www.ThinkKC.com